Questions about P-EBT? Call the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services hotline: 1-866-244-0071

UPDATE: Ohio JFS has received approval to issue P-EBT funds for children enrolled in schools operating remotely or on hybrid schedules that would have normally received free or reduced-price school meals. To learn more, visit our FAQs for more information about the 2020-21 school year.

If you are unsure whether your child was eligible for P-EBT funds, view our FAQs or contact your child's school to confirm. If you aren't sure if your child's school participates in the National School Lunch Program, you can check this searchable database to find out.

P-EBT for the 2020-2021 School Year

The Pandemic – Electronic Benefits Transfer (P-EBT) Program is additional money for families to buy food due to COVID-19 related school closures or reduced hours.

  • For the 2020-21 school year, eligible Ohio families will receive funds in an amount based on how many days a child was out of school due to COVID-19. The benefit amount will be about $6 per child for each day the child did not receive a free or reduced price meal at school due to closure, reduced attendance, or hours, beginning August 2020.
  • Benefits may change from month to month, depending on how many days your child was remote learning or did not have access to breakfast or lunch at school.
  • You should use P-EBT as well as grab-and-go meal sites to meet your children’s food needs.
  • Using P-EBT does NOT impact you or your child's immigration status. The public charge rule does NOT apply to P-EBT funds.

Will I get P-EBT?

To be eligible for P-EBT funds for August 2020 to the end of the 2020-21 school year, preschool through 12th grade students must have:

  • Received free or reduced-price meals under the National School Lunch Program OR
  • Attended a school where every student gets free meals AND
  • Missed at least 5 consecutive days of school due to building closures related to COVID-19 OR
  • Attended a school with reduced attendance or hours for at least 5 days within a consecutive period (such as a hybrid schedule) OR
  • Has been quarantined for at least 5 consecutive days due to COVID-19.

If you're not sure whether your child's school participates in the National School Lunch Program, you can search this database to check.

If you think your family qualifies for P-EBT for the 2020-2021 school year, but you have not received your P-EBT funds by the end of February, call ODJFS at 1-866-244-0071 or email

How do I get P-EBT?

I am NOT enrolled in SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or food stamps)

  • Watch your mail for your new P-EBT card.
  • You do NOT need to apply for P-EBT.
  • One card per eligible child will be provided.
  • You MUST keep your card(s). Funds will be added to the same card(s) monthly.

I am enrolled in SNAP (food stamps)

  • Most of the time, funds will be added to the card you already have. In some cases, you may instead get a P-EBT card in the mail for one or more children in your household.
  • You do NOT need to apply for P-EBT.
  • Use your funds the same way you use your SNAP benefits.
Advocates for Ohio's FutureChildren's Defense Fund OhioThe Center for Community SolutionsLocal MattersOhio Association of FoodbanksOhio Job and Family Services Directors' AssociationPolicy Matters Ohio
XS <576px
SM ≥576px
MD ≥768px
LG ≥992px
XL ≥1200px